Always backup the entire NM Collector Software directory. This
protects your data if something should go wrong.
Re-architected the Mac deployment structure to conform to current Mac standards. This required
changes to Windows and Linux deployment structures as well so all can share the same data from a
- Fixed Tree View Scrollbar issue in 3.0.
- Drag and Drop Pictures directly from file system. You can now
drag and drop one or more pictures directly into the software!
- Select Which Pictures Will Appear in Reports using a new
"Include in Reports" flag for each picture. (New reports are
available on the download page.)
- New Links Tab which allows you to link to any document,
picture or link on your desktop or on the web using drag and drop or
manual edits. Selecting a row and clicking the "Open Link" button
will actually open the source in whatever tool makes the most sense
for the link and your computer. For my computer, html links are
opened in Mozilla, PDF docs are opened by Adobe Reader, Word
documents are opened with Open Office, and so on.
- Copy and Paste to and from any notes field through a right
click popup menu.
- Simplified User Interface for those who do not want to
confirm every change. NM Collector now saves every change
- Clarified Confirmation Buttons for those who prefer the old
User Interface functionality it is still available by unchecking
[Options > Automatically Apply Changes]. "Keep" is renamed to "Apply"
and "Write" is now "Save."
- Improved Font and Background Customization and field resizing
to better accommodate small high resolution screens (such as Windows
Surface Screens). If you have a small high resolution screen you can
now set the fonts to a more readable size.
- Added "Change All Fonts" Option to easily adjust the size of
all fonts at once.
- Make Editing of Captions Clearer by removing the border
around each caption when not editing.
- Resolved limited image size issues so you no longer have to
resize most images.
- Added Note Fields to Receipts and Dispositions Tabs.
Database Encryption option for those who prefer for the application to
encrypt the database.
* Reformatted the
tree view buttons to make their functions more obvious.
easy way to Brand Software.
Splash Screen and About Screen for Branding.
threading issue that was causing unpredictable results when collection
types were hidden.
* Fixed problem where
second date in Description tab was not saving unless first date was
* Tic (') marks grew exponentially
when present. Had to programmatically remove tics whenever
* Reproportioned Find Window.
Export / Import Improvements
- Empty dates are now blank rather than
NMCSWID field is now optional. However, it is required if
pictures are to be imported.
- Items are now imported in the same order as in
the CSV file.
* Fixed problem with
Collection Type export that prevented templates from being imported.
more Export / Import options using a Comma Separated Values (CSV) file
format which is Excel compatible.
ability to export data to CSV.
ability import data from any other system via a CSV file.
* Android specific CSV interface for new Android NM Collector apps
(available from the Android Market).
Modified the screen format to work better with lower resolution (as
low as 1024 x 768) screen settings.
Reorganized buttons on some pages for consistency.
* Reworked statistics exports for easier directory selection.
* Renamed statistics exports to distinguish from other exports using
new export features.
* Fixed bug that was
causing lost data when existing collection type was renamed after it
* Fixed deletion of wrong Receipt, Disposition, Maintenance, Event,
and Picture records when an item was deleted.
* Removed unnecessary "Keep" warning when closing after
keeping recent changes.
* Adjusted field
positions in Events tab.
* Added wait
indicator when changing collection type in Statistics window.
intermittent failure to write notes to file bug.
* Changed "Save" in message asking if you want to
"Save" your changes to "Keep."
* Add "Write" button on every page to make it easy to write
to disk any time you want.
* Reduced the
default text size on tree view buttons to fix unix label truncation
* Added version number to load
splash screen to make it easier to tell what version you have.
database performance improvements (see benchmark results)
* Added pop up calendar option for all dates
* Report Improvements
o Display clear error message when a missing font causes a report to
Reports can now be saved to PDF and XLS formats
* Added common calibers to Ammo template
Added status messages on shut down to discourage people from killing
the program while it is writing data to disk! People have lost data by
"force closing" the program in the past.
* Provide the option to write data to disk without having to close the
* Added input length validation
check for combo boxes
* Added Java version
check on start up
* Clean up, reformat, and improve functionality of all List Edits
* Fixed bug with one insert right
after another losing data from previous
Fixed issues with data not being saved unless tab was pressed after
* Clearly marked first field on Identification Tab as the Bar Code
* Improvements to Events tab
* Improvements to Maintenance tab
up, reformat, and improve functionality of Collection Types Screens
o Fixed bug with one insert right after another losing data from
o Fixed issues with data not being saved unless tab was pressed after
* Improved existing collection
types by changing first [Bar Code] field to Unique ID
o Home Inventory
* Created new collection types
* Created new reports to more
easily report out on new collection types:
o Simple Inventory (all Identification tab fields)
o Simple Inventory with Notes (all Identification tab fields plus
Description tab Notes fields)
* Improvements to Tree View
o Data no longer lost when you make changes to your data and then make
changes to the Collection Types.
o When you delete an item with other items indented below it the
indented items below it no longer appear to be deleted.
o When you try to indent the first indented item below another item
the system no longer moves it to the bottom of the list of items.
o When you try to outdent an item that is already as far outdented as
it can go, the system no longer moves it to the bottom of the list of
o Drag and drop several items one after the other then try to indent
one of them no longer moves some of the items to the bottom of the
list of items.
o Scrollbar does not automatically center itself anymore.
* Other Improvements
o The items typed in field number 8 on the identification tab are no
longer placed in the combo box of field number 2.
o New icon for Mac.
o Red x on find window no longer closes entire application.
o Addressed Find and Help window sizing and formatting issues.
new collection type templates into default application
* Cleaned up some of the existing collection type templates that had
extra values in the drop down lists
Collection Types by name in Manage Collection Types window
* Fixed error when importing a new collection type due to incomplete
deletion of collection types on computer that the collection type was
* Reorganized list edit
screens to make them more intuitive
bug in list edit screens when no values present for drop downs -
mostly happens with description drop downs
* Performance improvements
o Added Re-index database option to menu - this improves the
performance of the database.
o Eliminated some unnecessary operations.
o Eliminated excess save warnings when data had already been saved.
o Allow pictures to be stored in database or file system - storing
pictures in the file system gives better performance for people with
very large collections (500 or more items) with lots of pictures.
+ Created new set of picture reports for when pictures are stored in
the file system rather than the database.
+ Provide mechanisms for migrating pictures from the database to the
file system and vise-versa.
+ Provide a mechanism to move pictures from disperse locations in the
file system to a the same directory as NM Collector Software. The
ideal location is on a USB flash drive. That way the pictures are
always available no matter what computer you are using.
+ Modified NM Gun Collector migration to default to storing pictures
in the file system rather than the database.
* Provide guidance for when help won't load.
* Disable statistics for free version.
* Adjust Receipt and Disposition date
* Add date format note to date fields
* Allow special characters to be saved to database
* Allow dates to be cleared after entered
Save preferred picture display format
Remember last used picture path when adding pictures
* Change "Prom" and "Dem" buttons to
"<<<" and ">>>"
* Remove excess items from Utilities menu
Add Bar Code fonts to USB distribution
Reverse order of Firearms imported from NM Gun Collector
+ Added Maintenance, Events, and Data Sheet tabs
+ Allow import of existing collection type by automatically renaming
o New Reports
+ Maintenance, Events, and Data Sheet reports
+ Various Insurance Reporting Formats
+ Inventory with Pictures and Notes
+ General Acquisition and Disposition for any collection type
+ Firearms A&D for all firearms
+ Blank Firearms A&D
+ Compressed Firearms A&D Reports
+ Reworked confirmation messages for clarity
+ Sped up initial load
+ Suppressed unnecessary data refreshes
+ Simplified process of making a new collection type based on existing
+ Added paste to ease activation of subscription for those who do not
know how to use standard paste key sequence for their operating system
* Bugs Fixed
o Fixed "disappearing" picture problem - not really
disappearing from the database but not loading properly when no longer
in the original file location
o Fixed missing "Demote" button on Mac
o Fixed all A&D reports to properly handle multiple acquisitions
o Changes after initial Add of Pictures, Receipts, and Dispositions
now save properly every time
o All Reports except A&D no longer include dis-positioned items
o ID 10 field now properly stores values
o Can now rename an existing Collection Type without items getting
o Can now hide an existing Collection Type and associated items will
be hidden as well
o Deleting a Collection Type will now also delete associated items.
o Properly shuts down attempt to start when already running
o NM Collector Data Import window no longer too small to see important
o Renamed "status/Activate" menu item to
o Fixed "Cancel" Image add results in crash
o Improve "Image too large" error and provide guidance as to
acceptable image size
o Statistics Print is now readable - breaks up table across multiple
Resolved some problems when dealing with multiple Receipts,
Dispositions, and Pictures
* Fixed ID Field 9 not displaying.
* Fixed Collection Types Import when collection type being imported
* Added functionality to
picture manipulation buttons.
* Added XML
and CSV export from Statistics window.
Faster Load - especially with large amounts of data.
* Simplified Mac Install.
* Fixed data not saved if too many characters entered in 32 character
fields (including captions).
fields on screens to better reflect character limits.
* Added custom icon to window frames.
Fixed Find window size problems.
key on find window now triggers "Find First."
* Enter key on Bar Code field triggers selection of that item.
* Added picture resolution (size) check to eliminate problems caused
by over sized pictures.
* Fixed problem
that caused some data not to be saved immediately after inserting a
* Changed default installation
directory to remove Vista issues with "Program Files"
* Fixed intermittent update bugs that plagued Pictures, Receipts,
Dispositions and drop down list values - This is the most important
reason to apply this update for existing customers.
* Rearranged buttons on Pictures, Receipts, and Dispositions to make
them more intuitive.
* Added Bar Code
capability including new reports. This requires download of free
IDAutomationHC39M Bar Code font from www.idautomation.com/fonts/free/
to see actual bar codes. Please comply with their license restrictions
for their free bar codes.
* Added direct
access to many reports through the menu.
Improved backup and restore process.
* Import data from NM Gun Collector
* Add double click to go to item in Statistics
* Enhanced Statistics with Receipt and Disposition fields
* Added Find feature in tree
* Added List
edits for Receipt and Disposition
problem with Description list edit
1.1, 1.2, 1.3 - minor
* Fixed "Ins"
button enabled when you could not insert
Fixed problem editing Description drop downs
* Fixed items populating tree when collection type not visible
* Fixed bug not allowing captions to be edited for new Collection Type
* Added save/cancel check when changing tabs
* Added Font Chooser (including font color)
* Added Background Color Chooser
java and NM Collector JE versions to about window
* Added a default value to tree when new item inserted
1.0 - Initial Release
Last Revised: March 25, 2012
Copyright © 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
by Clayton J. Pryor. All rights reserved.