Since the new NM Collector Software JE (Java Edition) software uses a completely new and up to date standard for software development, deployment and maintenance environment that is independent of Microsoft proprietary products it can not directly use the data you entered in NM Gun Collector software. To preserve the time you invested documenting your firearms collection in NM Gun Collector Software we provide a means for you to import your data from the proprietary NM Gun Collector Software database to the open NM Collector Software JE (Java Edition) database. The details are covered on this page.
- These pages list the exact steps and tools required to do the job
- Other than the Data Migration Service listed below, due to expected high volumes, support for importing data from NM Gun Collector will not be available.
- Since version 2.1.0, the import defaults to referencing pictures in the file system rather than loading them into the database. This is for very large collections with lots of pictures per item. You can switch to storing pictures in the database after the migration is complete.
Data Migration Steps:
- Download the NM Gun Collector Export program (XMLExport.exe) to your NM Gun Collector installation directory. It has to go in the directory that contains your NM Gun Collector Software database (nmgcsw.mdb). The default installation directory is [C:\Program Files\nmCollector] however, in Vista, you had to install it to a different directory to get it to work.
- Double click XMLExport.exe to run the NM Gun Collector Export program.
- Click the Export button. This will create a new [results] folder containing your exported data in your NM Gun Collector installation directory.
- Open NM Collector Software JE (Java Edition) and select File > Import > NM Gun Collector Data.
- Click the Import button.
- Navigate to the [results] folder created by the NM Gun Collector Export program (XMLExport.exe) and select it as the import source folder.
- Due to the current window size bug, you will not see the status of the import. For now please just wait until the system tells you the import is complete. this may take some time. You will see the following message when the import is complete:
- When the import is complete, shut down and restart NM Collector JE. Your NM Gun Collector data is now present.
Here is the mapping of fields that will be migrated from the old NM Gun Collector software to the new NM Collector Software JE (Java Edition) software. A careful inspection will reveal slight changes and additions but all fields from NM Gun Collector are represented in NM Collector Software JE (Java Edition).
*NOTE: The table below assumes the NM Collector Software JE (Java Edition) Captions are the defaults and have not been changed.
NM Gun Collector
NM Collector Software JE (Java Edition) *
|Description Tab||Identification Tab|
|Bar Code||Unique ID|
|Custom Tag No.||Custom Tag|
|Serial No.||Serial No.|
|Caliber Or Gauge||Caliber Or Gauge|
|C and R?||Include in A&D Report?|
|Metal Finish||Metal Finish|
|C and R?||C&R?|
|Stock/Grip Type||Stock or Grip Type|
|Storage Location||Storage Location|
|Appraised By||Appraised By|
|Appraised Value||Appraised Value|
|Insured Value||Insured Value|
|Head Space||Head Space|
|Date Manufact||Date Manufactured|
|Appraisal Date||Date Appraised|
|Date Current Value|
|Condition Comments||Condition Comments|
|Pictures Tab||Pictures Tab|
|Date Taken||Date Picture Taken|
|Picture Notes||Picture Notes|
|Receipt Tab||Receipt Tab|
|License Number||License Number|
|Disposition Tab||Disposition Tab|
|License Number||License Number|
|I. D.||I. D.|
|Alien Residency Documentation||Alien Residency Documentation|
|D. O. B.||D. O. B.|